I found this article much more interesting that Murray’s but the scene that Rehling starts out with is silly. I know the article says that 90% of serial killers are young adult, white males but what percentage of young adult white males between the ages of 20 and 35 are actually serial killers?
I thought it was coincidental that the article talked about the genre of a "white trash" serial killer, since for Halloween my costume was white trash and Halloween is the ideal time of year for fear and horror. I think what Thomas DiPiero mentioned about the white male protagonist was interesting. He argued that these characters are dependent on women and people of color to define their identity. So in essence white masculinity "is not represented so much as an identity as a hysterical response to a perceived lack of identity".
I like how covertly these stereotypes are placed within horror films and yet as the viewer we still don’t even realize it. It’s like a math equation where the stereotypes follow a certain pattern and I love how Rehling breaks apart the equation and analyzes them in this article. I.e. "The female detective, as Carol Clover has noted, has her roots in the slasher genre, in which increasingly the male rescuer/survivor function has been rendered "marginal or dispensed with altogether."
I love the archetypal framework for every character and plot that is examined in this article. For instance, the protagonist in each movie is always a foil of the antagonist. I think I will be more aware of the patterns and stereotypes after reading these articles. I may even be able to predict the plot of the next slasher movie I see.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment